Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My first project... St. Patrick's Day door sign!

So I took the plunge and decided to take up a hobby, and I'm completely obsessed! I love the thought of having nice looking decor for your home at a very low price. They are easy and cheap. What more could a girl ask for?!

I decided to do holiday decor as my first project. St. Patrick's day is kind of a boring holiday and I really didn't have any decorations for it in my collection, so I thought, why not? I stole this idea from a decor website. Here is their version...






My first initial project will be the most expensive one because I have no supplies (paint, brushes, etc), so I needed to stock up at the craft store. Here are the supplies I used... *Please excuse the quality of the pictures, my camera is still in a box.*





Supplies for project- Mirror from Dollar Tree $1.00, Anita's Acrylic paint 11183 Shamrock 2oz. $0.50, Anita's Acrylic paint Black $0.50, Folkart Crackle Medium 4oz. $3.43, Elmer's Spray Adhesive 110z. $6.99, Scrapbook paper $0.33, Burlap $2.99/yard, 100 goldtone thumbtacks $1.99, Green with white polka dots ribbon $1.99, Homemade stencil of shamrock, foam brushes for paint pack of 10 for $2.50, stencil brush $2.00, hot glue gun $5.00 **All supplies were purchased at Hobby Lobby, except for the mirror**

First, remove the inside contents of the mirror so you are able to paint the wood frame.





Then, paint the wood frame with the Shamrock green paint with a foam brush, then let dry.





While you're waiting for the frame to dry, you can make your stencil for the clover design. I used a spare divider I had around the house and free-handed a clover. Once your design is to your approval, cut it out to make a stencil.





Set the stencil aside and check to see if your wood frame is dry. If so, apply a generous coat of the crackle medium. This product will allow us to have an antique crackle affect. (I didn't post a picture of the frame with the crackle because it is clear.) Let dry.

Apply the spray adhesive to the mirror and place the scrapbook paper on the mirror with applied adhesive. Once the scrapbook paper is secure, trim the paper to fit.





Cut the burlap 7inX6in.





Use the hot glue gun to glue down the 4 corners of the burlap in the middle of the paper.

Then, take your homemade stencil of the clover and play on top of burlap, use stencil brush to apply green paint to the burlap. Let dry.





This is what it should look like once you remove the stencil after painting the clover.





Take 4 of the gold thumbtacks and cut off the pointy ends with wire cutters.





Hot glue the "non-pointy" tacks to 4 corners of the burlap.





Check to see if the crackle is dry on your frame. If so, apply the black acrylic paint with a foam brush on top of the crackle. Make sure you only use one stroke at a time with a generous amount of paint on your brush. Do not go back over with another coat of black. It will not give the crackle affect. Let dry. **I forgot to take a picture of this step, sorry :( **

While waiting for the black paint to dry, measure green with white polka dots ribbon and cut off 24 inches.

This is what the frame looks like once dry. The crackle effect is pretty neat, huh?






Once the black paint is dry, put the "inside" of the frame back in.





Turn the frame over, take the 24 inches of ribbon and hot glue to the back of the mirror. Let dry.





Project is finished!





Even though I bought alot of supplies for this project, I did not even use a third of my supplies. I still have a ton left over for future projects. I estimate this sign costs less than $5 to make, what a deal!

Voila! My version of the shamrock sign. Hang on your door and enjoy! Cuteness!


1 comment: