Monday, November 16, 2009

It is told time will heal, but the hurt still remains.



One year ago today, my beautiful Grandma entered into eternity after her short battle with kidney cancer. It still doesn't feel real to me, and I'm not sure it will either. I believe the hardest part, besides the fact of her being gone, is being able to fathom that amount of time it has been since she has passed. A year? Really? Where did the time go?
It feels like just yesterday I was sitting at the table in her kitchen watching her make homemade tortillas. Her cooking was perfect. Her house was immaculate, warm, and welcoming. It feels like just yesterday I was in her living room, giggling, while she danced to I Want To Dance With You by George Strait. It feels like just yesterday that I was able to walk up to her and embrace her, kiss her on the forehead, and she would say, "I love you mijita." But sadly, it wasn't yesterday.
I find myself alone, thinking of her quite often, and when I think of her, I smile. She left such a positive mark on all our hearts. The peace I have within me is that I know she left this Earth happy. She accomplished so much during her life and worked for everything she ever had. She raised a beautiful, successful family and filled every one's heart with her love.
One thing she did without a doubt is leave an incredible impression on the women in her life. Her strength, sense of self, and values ran deep. I feel thankful to have known her as I did and miss her dearly.
I know we will meet again, and that our time apart now is temporary.
Grandma, I miss you. The loss of you was a very big one, but I know that our loss is your gain because, as the Bible says of those God has redeemed, to be absent from the body is to be present with God. You made it home, and I'll see you soon. I love you so much. Thank you for loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment